Search This Blog

Thursday, November 12, 2015

An Afternoon Hike

I got my chores done. Dan asked, "Can you check the weather forecast? Is this blowing in a storm". I looked up Accuweather on my mobile device and found two cooler days with the temperatures and then the temps heading back into the 70's. No rain. Dan starting in about how it was a shame to be staying inside on such a beautiful day and so out in the hills we went. It is November and the temps are in the low to mid-60's. Just gorgeous. 


Very few flowers still in bloom. These Rock Hibiscus were starting to seeding out.
 I also noted a few purple Trailing Windmills.


This Cholla caught my eye..........had to be one of the largest I have ever seen. 


A Saguaro that we call 'Variegated", not sure yet about what causes this. All I can tell you is this arm has been like this for about six years. We have only ever seen three total out of the thousands upon thousands of Saguaros.


Sad, we found three dead desert tortoise shells on our hike. 



A few prickly pear fruit left.


I counted four birds nets in this one Teddy Bear Cholla. 


FINALLY, found a shed antler! 


Pulling it out for a photo...........say that is a different colored rock on the right.


Sure enough, a core or crude scraper, probably from the Hohokam Indians.


Almost stepped on this little guy. He/she is cold.  I kicked the rock off the top of it, accidentally, then noticed it just before putting my foot down.

Such a little cutie. I built a shelter for it, since I was the giant that destroyed it's last home. 


Another rock that is out of place.


Turned out to be the base of an arrowhead.


Heading back to the truck. Dan now notices that huge cholla and yells for me to over to him for a photo. I'm tired Dan.

Dan found an old shed stuck way in the brush.


 This antler has been out here awhile.


 Back to the truck just in time for the sun to set.


Amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment