Search This Blog

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Mexican Elderberry




While visiting a local ranch, I got to see the wild Mexican Elderberry in bloom. Smells fantastic and brings about fond memories of my Granny K. The cowboy and I talked about uses of the plant, my memories of Elderflower fritters, jams, pies, and wine were making my mouth water. The cowboy, a Yaqui Indian, tells how his mom would prepare a steam with it to open air passageways when someone had congestion. Not only did I learn this new medicinal use of the plant, but also learned that the ways I was trying to cultivate it where incorrect. With the new knowledge I gained I will be attempting to grow cuttings again, all previous attempts had failed. Hope to share this information soon with pics of progress!


No comments:

Post a Comment