Search This Blog

Thursday, December 22, 2016

12/21/2016

Woke up late this morning, 5:30 am, normally I  have a cup of coffee by now and am working on posting more items onto our website www.prehistoriccollector.com - this week I have been focused on putting all archaeological and historical publications that we have availabe for sale on. I can't believe the stacks and stacks of books we have. The upper loft where everything is kept has to be under so much stress from the weight. I am under stress just looking at it all.

I got that pot of coffee going, but Dan was extremely sore this morning so I had my cup in my hands for only a minute before the "Honey, I can barely move..........can I have a massage please?" broke the morning silence. We talk over the massage, what we are doing today, what needs done. We have someone interested in all the antlers we have for sale. The gentleman, of course, would like a group deal, so we are working on that today.

We always do breakfast. This morning was some freshly made bacon (a gift from a friend). What a treat, it was actually the end of the package. We had strips yesterday morning and so today what was left in the bag went into bacon, egg, and cheese burritos. My neighbor makes great flour tortillas and I buy some from her frequently. Christmas has her behind so we don't have any left. I normally get my eggs from them too.....but I haven't heard back from them in 4 days, typical as everyone seems so busy now-a-days. This makes me furious to think about that Murray McMurray Hatchery gift certificate from my brother that I have just sitting here for two years because we have yet to put up a chicken coop. No fresh eggs on our self-sustainable living goal as of yet. That frustrates me.

While waiting for Dan to sort through more antlers to sell (it is cold in the warehouse)...........I decide to work on cleaning off my desk, the generator is on, so I posted some of the shards I had already photographed. Yep, behind there too, my computer has so many photographs on it I am surprised it is still working. Things to be posted on our website for sale, or on our virtual museum for educational purposes, or on our guide service site for updates, or on our youtube video. Jeeze! Another frustration!

It's wet outside! Yes! We got a little rain in the night. Not too much, just .05, but enough to register and put on my rain log. Why the log? It is for a follow up water article that I am working on.

The Pigeon needs fed. Yep, caring for a pigeon. I caught a banded pigeon over a month ago. It flew out of Los Angeles and land here in the Altar Valley. The owner was contacted by the information on the bands. I am still waiting on the box he is supposed to be sending me for next day air shipping of the pigeon. You read that right. Next day air! So am wondering what is so special about this bird? I see pigeons for sale on Craigslist all the time for $10. each. Again, its been over a month........so maybe the owner realized it is not cost effective?

Cleaning a section of the warehouse reminds me of all the projects I have in waiting.....bottle crafts, light switch upcycling, cast iron stands I bought at at the Arivaca Community center yards sale to be upcycled into bird feeders and the lamp I was just about to throw out when my mother said.......oh wouldn't that be cool done in mosaic for an outdoor ornament. Oh ya!  I also found a warranty and sales receipts...........come on! how unorganized is that! I got the long table that I call my "cafeteria" cleaned off just in time for Dan to fill it with all the antlers he pulled out of our private collection to put up for sale.


So waiting on the guy who is interested in the entire lot of antlers to get back to us...........

It is such a beautiful day, overcast. Supposed to rain more. Dan wants to go hiking but is worried about getting wet, so he stays home and fixes my wash line. One beam was cracking apart and no more wire could hold it together. Insulators where falling to the ground.


Ready to go again! I love my wash line.


I cleaned the woodpile. It wasn't too bad as I have been doing a little every time I go out for an armload for the wood stove (our only source of heat). I found these two beat-up half drums in the back that Dan found in trash piles someone dumped in the desert. Put a few drain holes in them and now they hold our kindling. Also gave them a quick coat of paint........just because it looks nicer. Had the stands in the back too. One is from an old kiln. 



One of the reasons for cleaning the piles of wood is rattlesnakes..........we had three here this past year, all near the woodpile. Think they were looking for mice and rats. Picking up all the wood I thought for sure I would run into centipedes and scorpions, must be too cold. All I found were termites and this little critter.



 All done........ One project out of the way.


Except I have another wood pile in another area to clean up - on another day.


Raking around the woodpile I got a wagon load of mulch.........then on the way to the orchard, a flat tire. Same tire I had just aired. Bummer. Need to find solid tires for my cart, our terrain just tears them up.



Dinner was simple......just fried Venison. However I had an issue with my veggies. A quart bag of Okra left from the garden, cut up and fried with some carrots, but very, very bitter. So bitter it reminded me of too old devils claw. So I opened a can of cream style skillet corn and viola! the sweetness of the corn countered the bitterness of the okra and I had a veggie hash to go with the vension.

The venison is from Dans buck. Stay tuned for photos and story on that as he is still sorting our antlers to find previous years sheds ...........the buck is 10 years old and Dan almost has his life history from a yearling on. How freakin awesome is that?

Before bed I started reading a book "Life without electric" - so far it is mostly about Amish living. The night before I sorted through eight magazines. That made me feel like I got a little more accomplished before hitting the hay. The guy did get back about the antlers.......I think he was surprised by how many we had. He wants to look at them in a week or so, until then I will be posting them for sale on craigslist.


No comments:

Post a Comment